My Skirts and Petticoats Have Saved Me




The 19th-century Victorian dress above would be really convenient at parties. I would totally be an island in that hoop skirt talking a bon bon from that elongated-server-wielding nice man.

How kind of him to think of me in my condition, the condition of being dressed like a lady.


Ada Lovelace, collaborated with Charles Babbage, the so-called 'Father of Computers,"
and wrote the world's first computer coding algorithm.



@magdods on Twitter reminded me that 19th-century woman scientist Mary Kingsley claimed "her skirts and petticoats saved her when she fell into a tiger trip full of pointed sticks."

I love that so much. Because tiger trips full of pointed sticks -- at least figuratively -- are a problem faced by so. many.

Mary Kingsley


For instance -- tiger trip alert -- to make myself look less like Pale Death-in-January, I was putting on blush in a color called So You Went to Smith? [bonus read: The History of Blush] and my daughter, 10, asked why I was putting PINK ROCK DUST on my face and I had no answer. Perhaps I should have said, "they used to use crushed beets and mulberries."

Perhaps Mary Kingsley's real tiger trips were far easier than these tricky ones today. 


Comments

  1. It was only just a moment ago, on my way to take the children to school, that I avoided a fall straight into a tiger trip filled with pointy sticks. If not for my puffy red parka, I would be impaled there still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kingsley's fall into the pit occurred in W. Africa--no tigers there! Lion trap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the height of Covid, a woman was on the news in a gothic petticoat frame and pointed mask, it is epic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O_RhLX7CQ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts