19th-Century Lady Naturalist Dressing Like A Canada Goose


I'm dressing in the colors of the Canada goose, above, show as gracefully swan necked as Victorian lady scientist, inventor of the first aquarium, cephalopod researcher (that means octopuses for you novices -- do you not listen to Science Friday?), and one of my muses in fashion and in life,  Jeanne Villepreux-Power (1784-1871).



Jeanne Villepreux-Power.
Hair #squadgoals. Bring me my hot rollers.

La Coiffure Francaise Illustree is for a la mode 19th-century women in science (and those who emulate them, like myself) from which I've been learning that many of the problems of your life can be solved with a silk low side bow and an ostrich feather and a look-down-and-away expression.

Most of these women in this fashion plate are not thinking about cephalopods;
the necklines of their dresses are too low to go tide-pooling in without their bosoms becoming the object of study.
Image courtesy of NYPL digital collections.

January in the mid-Atlantic is the month of various shades of Canada-goose-gray, dun, white. I know 2018 Pantone's color of the year is Ultra Violet. But, be realistic, these animals like the stubby octopus are already rocking it.

I'm not going to walk the stormwater retention pond that is my #citsci sit spot in purple. Ladyfriend and fanmen, no! I'm going to be sensible in this lovely gray frock that says business.


Stephens College Costume Museum.



Comments

Popular Posts