Victorian hairstyles cosplay: up-dos and down-don'ts




In the Victorian era I'm cosplaying as a 19th Century Lady Naturalist citizen scientist, "letting one's hair down was commonly seen as brazen and immodest, even sinful." It was straight up-do and down-don't, because, dear teacake nibbling ladyfriends, you didn't want to be seen as an artist's hussy. Like, oh, say, Dante Rossetti's:

Oooga a-oooga.


Unfortunately, a month before I began the happiness project that is 19th Century Lady Naturalist, I shaved my head. Classic #Victorianladyhairstylefail. Classic Bastos. It's going to take at least a year to grow out according to BuzzFeed and here are the 21 things I should expect.

Hair no can do. But, ladyfriends, one can aim for a rose in a glass
and an off-the-shoulder nightie
while collecting local climate change data for Project Budburst,
"a national network of citizen scientists monitoring plants as the seasons change."


"Even though long hair styled in an updo was the way most women, especially upper class women, wore their hair during the 19th century" I can probably Victorian cosplay lady naturalist hair soon if I get a big-ass bonnet and willy-nilly hot-glue dark satin bows to everything I own mostly white t-shirts. I'll make it work.


The queen on the morning of her asccession is the look I'm going for
as I walk the stormwater retention pond in the heavily-developed Baltimore suburbs monitoring dragonflies'
"presence, emergence, and behaviors" for Project Pond Watch.






Comments

Popular Posts