my stars! 19th century lady naturalists studied astronomy




Here's a list of ten historic women in science you should know that I didn't. And I should have known these 19th century lady naturalists because I studied marine science at Smith, one of the Seven Sisters (like the Pleiades constellation. How apropos! Maria Mitchell, above, studied the stars and she is one of the early women in science I did not know.) 

When I dare to meet the gaze of Maria Mitchell (1818-1889), early astronomer, in the portrait above I think, Damn, she has an intense resting 19th century I'm America's first professional female astronomer face. AND I WISH I COULD GET MY HAIR TO CURL SUCHSO. Also: I like your hat. Is that a hat? Is that a shawl or a cardigan? I don't know. What if its a shrug? I'm babbling. 

She's so cool, ladyfriends, and all I can focus on is her many.bows.

Maria Mitchell, early woman in science, looks the way I imagine Dorothea Brooke of Middlemarch to look.  Like, I her to want to be my friend. "She discovered a comet through a telescope and was awarded a gold medal by the King of Denmark." I would have said, Can I look through your golden telescope?


Is she quietly, 19th century Victorianly, throwing the rock hand gesture that Gene Simmons recently tried to trademark? 


Sorry, Gene, Maria Mitchell wore it better and studied THE STARS.



Comments

Popular Posts